Why bother?

That's the question my boyfriend posed to me last night when we arrived at the local bush to go for a ride on our bicycles. There was rubbish dumped everywhere. Fridges, eskies, burnt out cars, bags of household rubbish, and oh, the beer cans.

So J posed the question 'why bother?' Bogans are always going to dump rubbish in the bush. There will always be people who don't give a damn about the environment. And the majority of people won't think twice about the amount of plastic they're throwing away into landfill. So why bother?

Really, I don't give a damn about what other people do. (Well, I do, but I really don't have much faith in humanity left these days, and I realise there is nothing I can do to change their ways). But I can sure change MY ways. I feel guilty when I buy takeaway in plastic containers, or forget my green shopping bags and need a plastic one instead. I love my little piece of green Australia, and I want to keep it that way.

Tonight the local council is holding a town meeting on the state of the local bushland, and we're going. I've never been to a town meeting before, but this issue is close to my heart.

(image from Echo News)

I also plan on spending some time on the weekend picking up some of the rubbish and recyclables - they can go in our near-empty collection bins. Keep you updated!

0 comments:

Post a Comment